Saturday, August 23, 2008

The ways that developing effective communication skills are important for me

No man is an island. We communicate and interact with people everyday. Thus, it is important for the use effective communication to convey the correct information to the receiver and not get misunderstood. It is also equally important to practise active listening so as to receive the correct intention and instructions from the speaker and then respond relevantly.

When I was the marketing director of NUS netball club previously I need to email various companies to ask for sponsorship because we were organizing an outdoor event. Then when I was replying their enquiries, I often feel the pressure and difficulty to respond formally. The language I used sounded very childish and informal. This will also pose as a problem when I start working in the future. Thus, with effective communication, I can learn to write formally and professionally by selecting the proper words and tone. This can credit me as educated and creditable personnel. Thus it will help to convince the people that I am communicating with.

I will be going through job hunt and thus need to attend many job interviews. By having effective communication, I can be better prepared and perform well during my interviews which will hopefully impress the employers and get a job. I can foresee that there will be many presentations to be made throughout my working years,. With having effective communication, I can capture my audience’s attention and share my ideas and opinions convincingly and confidently.

In the future when I am working, I am bound to be someone’s superior or subordinate. Thus it is very crucial to communicate effectively so as to avoid misunderstandings and to enhance relationship and also to minimize conflicts. In other words, to have a nice and comfortable working environment so as to maximize everyone’s productivity,

6 comments:

MadelineLee said...

It is really great of you to include practical experiences that stressed the importance of effective communication skill. I agree that choosing the appropriate words and tone for formal presentation can be very vexing, yet, it is part and parcel of life. With this course, I am sure we can pick up useful skills to enhance our communication skills to build better rapport with others and to have a successful working life. All the best to you!

jiawei said...

hi mongshi!

I can empathize with you on the difficulties of having to deal with outside companies in a former manner. For the last 3 months, i was doing VIP, and i faced pretty much the same problems when sending emails or communication with suppliers on the phone. It becomes easiler when I got used to it, and i have the feeling that people can tell that you are inexpeienced and price negotiations become harder and some people would take advantage of this weakness.

Once there was a project engineer who told me, a good project engineer is one that can sit down with client and chat in restaurants and at the same time, sit down and chat with the Bangladesh worker during tea break. Communication is a very important skill indeed.

Sze Min said...

Hi Mong Shi,

I guess that you are not alone because I also had similar difficulties of replying to official emails in a courteous and formal manner. I guess this goes down to the lack of experience and training in such fields as we are seldom exposed to these knowledge in schools. I believe we will be able to overcome these barriers through analyzing the different methods and words people chose to utilize in these formal occasions and practice it repeatedly ourselves.

Derek ong plays a bit of pingpong said...

Hi Mongshi, my fellow research group mate,

It's nice of you to mention that no man is an island. It is true that because of the way our society is made up, we cannot escape interaction with other beings.

I have the same problem too because I tend to write informally. SMS or MSN only compounds the problem. Hopefully this module will help us correct everything.

I fully expect to be giving plenty of presentations in my working life too. It is important to develop effective communication so that at least the audience can get our idea we are trying to sell correctly and accurately.

Let us strive for effective communication skills together!

xinyu said...

Hey Mong Shi,

In dealing with the outside working world, communication skills are really important. Writing in bad or informal english not only leave a bad impression on the reader, he or she might even be so annoyed that he does not want to continue reading the email and our message cannot be conveyed to the person.

Hence, effective writing skills are also very important in our daily lives. As this section is covered in our course, let us all pick up these important life skills that will certainly benefit us in future.

Joanna said...

Hi Mongshi,

I believe that you are not the only person who thinks that formal communication is very important. Especially to our generation who are brilliant in harnessing technology and making communicated messages shorter and more effort-efficient through tools like SMS and MSN. The use of such tools has made short-hand written communication a habit amongst people of our generation and has made formal writing a difficult chore. It is alright to be informal with our friends and in certain occasions, our colleagues and partners but when conducting businesses, there is always a need to follow formality and decorum. So these blogging assignments have definitely given us a chance to practice writing in a more formal tone as compared to our daily short-handed messages through SMS and MSN.